Population number:806 153
Most vulnerable sectors:Agriculture
Climate change effects :
- Temperature rise by 0.2 °C per decade for 50 years ;
- Modification of wind and precipitation system ;
- More important exposure to cyclones ;
- Sea level rise of 4 mm per year ;
Disaster costs :
In 2016, the World Bank points out an average direct annual loss of 5.7 million dollars due to floods and tropical cyclones. The latter are the most important risk, being the cause of 64% of direct annual loss.
GHGs emissions :
0.46 MtCO2e (metric tons of CO2 equivalent ) in 2012
GHGs goals :
- Reduction: the Union of the Comoros aims to reduce its greenhouse gas emissions by 84% by 2030 accordingly to reference scenario emission levels in the same year ;
- Absorption: this reduction includes absorptions of the Land use, land-use change, and forestry (LULUCF) sector as well ;
This GHGs goal, corresponding to a reduction of 441 700 metric tons of CO2 eq., including LULUCF sector activities by 2030, requires a total investment around 675 million US$.
- Waste management